Friday, July 07, 2006

righteous judgment?

These thoughts have been on my mind lately. In Sunday school last week we were talking about how we judge each other, and how so many times when we get to know each other we find those judgments weren't accurate.

It occurred to me that when I have felt condemned by God, when I let go of the guilt feelings, I find that God has judged me to be of worth, asks me to share in his love, and continues to call me his child.

When I/We judge others, that often doesn't seem to be our bottom line. When I judge this way I see the "other" as having less worth (and by implication--myself with more), I am less likely to extend authentic love--it becomes condescending, and tend to deny the reality that they are as much a child of God as me.

These scriptures are becoming more important to me. There is more than enough judgment in our world, very little of it righteous. I know that there are people in my life who I am pre-judging, have predicted how they will respond in certain situations. I'm probably judging a bit unrighteously. I think I/we need to back off those we don't understand or accept, and learn to appreciate and understand them in the context of their journeys, and perhaps grow from these encounters. Thanks, Stacie


Doctrine and Covenants 161

3a. Open your hearts and feel the yearnings of your brothers and sisters who are lonely, despised, fearful, neglected, unloved. Reach out in understanding, clasp their hands, and invite all to share in the blessings of community created in the name of the One who suffered on behalf of all.

b. Do not be fearful of one another. Respect each life journey, even in its brokenness and uncertainty, for each person has walked alone at times. Be ready to listen and slow to criticize, lest judgments be unrighteous and unredemptive. Be patient with one another, for creating sacred community is arduous and even painful. But it is to loving community such as this that each is called.

No comments: