Sunday, June 26, 2005

Blind Obedience???

Hi, I've kind of been pondering the role of obedience in the execution of the sacraments. For some, this is the ultimate reason to do them. I was thinking that there is noone, at least no reasonable person on earth that requires blind obedience from me. I used to think my parents did. They wanted the dishes done by 7 pm. I had to use their methods, Joy soap, their equipment. As I matured and understood the purpose of the act of doing dishes, there was room for deviation from what they had instructed me to do. I switched to Dawn, got a different dish strainer, sometimes I used paper plates, if I'm needed for more important things I don't do the dishes at all.

From the Community of Christ belief statement:

Sacraments

The sacraments express the continuing presence of Christ through the church. They help us establish and continually renew our relationship with God. Through them we establish or reaffirm our covenant with God in response to God's grace.

If these sentences are the purpose for the sacraments, then the execution of these sacraments will evolve with our more mature understanding of the nature of God and the reasons we do the sacraments. We switch to coconut milk when that is more appropriate, we don't require everyone to kneel, if someone is allergic to wheat we provide an alternative to the bread. And for me, if the word father is harmful to someone, even temporarily, we can simply say God. For me, it is more appropriate to be obedient to the purpose of the sacraments than to be obedient to the details of that sacrament. Just some late night thoughts

No comments: